Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Neighbors - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

  I've lived in my house for about 4 months now and am just now realizing I have literally never once spoken to a single on of my neighbors. It's strange that we can live in such close proximity to someone and never acknowledge their existence. Our last neighbors hated us, and we never figured out why. I had friends over for Memorial Day. They all brought their kids and we had sodas and burgers and hot dogs, quietly in the back yard until early in the evening when everyone left. For whatever reason our neighbors shook their heads every single time they saw us and we never did figure out what happened. Our neighbors before that were incredible. They would text us when they ran out of toilet paper and we would run some over to them. We would text them if we needed sugar and they would bring us a whole bag. They would come over 3-4 nights a week to drink a few beers and watch TV with us and anytime they had leftovers they would bring them to my front door. We figured out after that that we had taken them for granted and we have yet to get that lucky again. I lived in a one-bedroom apartment with my Basset Hound for a year when I was 21. My neighbors there were very consistent in their weekly domestic disturbance calls to the police. I considered having my cable turned of at one point because I was so entertained by the psychos that lived in the next apartment over. They spent 90% of the time, day or night at each others throats and then they would have tearful reunions. My point is neighbors are like a box of chocolates. You never really do know what you're gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment