Saturday, February 22, 2014

Candlelight Vigil

This evening I packed up the boys and headed out to the candlelight vigil for little Hailey Owens on Commercial Street. Never in my life did I imagine the number of people that would show up in honor of this sweet girl's death. I've never seen anything like it. 10,000 plus people filled the streets for 4 blocks with candles, posters and flowers. There were lanterns and balloons sent into flight toward the heavens to meet up with Hailey. Her family, as they walked along the path cleared for them, were clearly moved by the percentage of Springfield that came to show their support. As my children and I were walking the half-mile from our parking spot to the ceremony I listened to the family behind me discussing their niece, who was Hailey's best friend, and how she woke up this morning and finally broke down. It's heartbreaking the number of people effected by this, but inspiring how many of us went out there, fought traffic and walked all that way for a short 45 minute ceremony to honor this angel whose life was unjustly taken from her just 4 days ago. There is talk going around that the clowns from Westborough Baptist Church showed up for the specific purpose of boycotting the vigil. I cannot think of a legitimate reason for this. It simply does not make sense. Do they think Hailey did something wrong? Why does she not deserve to be sent off with a celebration? To me this is almost terrorism. Worse, this is terrorism on a dead little kid and her family.  Luckily between the boisterous motorcycles of the Hell's Angels and the huge turnout, making it impossible to navigate through the streets to make a point, they were run off. Springfield has always been a tight-woven little big town, but tonight, we deserve a pat on the back. Tonight, I was proud to be a member of this community.

No comments:

Post a Comment